Dear CRPD advocates!
This is the week to weigh in on the Disability Treaty. Last week we heard from the New York Times Editorial Board and Stevie Wonder. This week we’ve heard from Secretary of State John Kerry. It’s time for the community to weigh in! If you will be in Washington, DC this week, we hope you will join the US International Council on Disabilities (USICD) and the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) at the events below on Thursday, July 25:
- 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM: NCIL March to the Hill with CRPD banner
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM: NCIL Rally with CRPD signs and speakers
- 12:45 PM – 1:15 PM: Press Conference on the CRPD. Please bring as many colleagues and friends as you can! It will be held just after the NCIL Rally on the Lawn of the US Capitol Reflecting Pool (area on the Capitol Side of the pool between Constitution Ave, NW, Maryland Ave, SW and First St. NW, 3rd St. NW).
- 3:30 PM – 5:30 PM: USICD Annual Meeting to be held at the U.S. Access Board, 1331 F Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20004.
If you will not be in DC, there are other ways you can activate
for the ADA Anniversary in support of the Disability
- Write to your local papers! Check out these recent Op–Ed’s that support of the CRPD. Share your own voice— we are happy to support you in this process!
Illiniois: Chicago Tribune
Indiana: Journal Gazette
Mississippi: Clarion Ledger
Missouri: St. Louis Public Radio
Nebraska: Journal Star
- Call your Senators to let them know that you support the CRPD!
Call Senators Corker (202) 224-6797 and Menendez (202) 224-4651 and simply tell them to hold hearings in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Contact YOUR two U.S. Senators and ask them to support the disability treaty! Find their information HERE.
- Visit your local Senate offices! Get a group together and go let them know about the ADA Anniversary and your support of the CRPD!
- TWEET in support of the Disability Treaty! #ISUPPORTCRPD
During this celebratory time, it is also important to remember our legacy and where we are moving! The time is now for CRPD ratification!! Thank you for your joining us in these actions! Feel free to contact USICD (email@example.com) or DREDF (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Happy ADA Anniversary!
Need more info about CRPD? Visit www.disabilitytreaty.org