DREDF and Disability Rights California Reach Agreement to Make the Program More Accessible.

If You are Blind or Visually Impaired, You Can Get Information from In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) in Different Ways

If you like how you currently receive information and approve timesheets, you don’t need to do anything.

Your choices for getting different NOTICES by mail are:

  1. Braille notice and a standard print notice;
  2. CD with an accessible text and audio file, and a standard print notice;
  3. Large print (18-point size bold) notice with a standard print notice;
  4. Standard print notice, and a county worker to read the notice for you over the phone.

Your choices for how to approve your provider’s timesheets are:

  1. You can use the telephone timesheet system (TTS) to approve your provider’s timesheet over the phone. TTS also will store your approved timesheets. You won’t have to sign your timesheet anymore.
  2. If you are visually impaired, you can receive a large print, 18-point font, timesheet that you can read and sign for yourself.

If You Wish to Request a Certain Format or Change How You Receive Notices or Approve Timesheets:

Ask your county IHSS worker. You can request your preferred format when you file an application, have an initial assessment, or a reassessment. You can also call your county IHSS worker. Some other IHSS information and documents may be available in alternative formats. You may ask your county IHSS worker for something you need. If it can be provided in your desired format, it will be. If not, your county IHSS worker will work with you to find an alternative that will work for you.

Filing a Complaint:

You have the right to make a complaint with your County’s Civil Rights Coordinator. Ask your county office for the name, address and phone number of its Civil Rights Coordinator. He/she can independently investigate your complaint.

You also can contact the State Department of Social Services Civil Rights Bureau, at:

California Department of Social Services
744 P Street, MS 8-16-70
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 654-2107
(866) 741-6241 (Toll-Free)


You also can call Disability Rights California or DREDF for assistance. You can call Disability Rights California Toll Free at 800.776.5746 / TTY 800.719.5798. You can call DREDF at 510.644.2555 / TTY 510.841.8645.