Download the sign (PDF)
Congress is about to vote on HR 620 – a bill designed to weaken the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). 1 out of 5 people in the US has a disability, and the ADA provides us with the fundamental civil right to use public accommodations — things like shop at malls, eat at restaurants, stay at hotels and support law-abiding businesses — alongside our non-disabled friends, family members, colleagues and peers.
Your representative in Congress needs to know they can’t get away with weakening the most powerful civil rights legislation of the last 30 years.
People across the nation are taking to social media to send the message #HandsOffMyADA. It’s up to us to show Congress and the rest of America that the ADA is worth protecting because nobody should be left out or forced to wait for equal access. Any bill that tries to change that must be stopped.
What You Can Do:
Use the hashtag #HandsOffMyADA to share your story about what you can do because of the ADA.
- Print out the sign above.
- Finish the sentence “Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Some examples:
- Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I… can spend money at your business.
- Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I… can get into the building to go to work.
- Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I… can use the bathroom when I go out with friends.
- Take a picture of yourself holding your sign and share it everywhere!
Justice delayed is justice denied. Use every platform you can to share your message loudly and proudly. And be sure to tag your representative so that they know to keep their #HandsOffMyADA!