Urgent Action Alert!
from the Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund (DREDF)
and other disability rights organizations.
Department of Justice Seeks Public Comment on Development of New ADA Regulations on Equipment and Furniture
Your Comments Needed By January 24, 2011
The U.S. Department of Justice published four Advance Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRMs) on July 26, 2010, seeking public comment on the development of regulations under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) in new areas, including various kinds of equipment and furniture. Many are critical to the everyday lives of people with disabilities:
- Overview / Introduction
- Medical Equipment and Furniture
- Electronic and Information Technology
- Other Furniture and Equipment
- Beds in Accessible Guest Rooms and Sleeping Rooms
- Exercise Equipment and Furniture
- Accessible Golf Cars
It is important for DOJ to receive comments from the disability community urging strong
regulation to provide genuine full and equal access. Your stories are needed! Your comments will have the most impact if you revise our drafts to add your own thoughts, and especially your own personal experiences or those of friends, family, colleagues, or clients with disabilities.
See all the DOJ ANPRMs at www.ada.gov/anprm2010/anprm2010.htm. There are also ANPRMs on access to the Internet, movie captioning and video description, and Next Generation 911 services.
The model comments on DREDF’s website represent our preliminary comments on DOJ’s Equipment/Furniture ANPRM. There will be further developments in January. Check back for updates on this website. DREDF final comments are now posted.
DREDF’s Model Comments on the DOJ’s ANPRM were developed in collaboration and benefited from contributions by many individuals and organizations. We would like to thank and acknowledge our colleagues:
- Access Compliance Services
- Access Northern California
- Access Living
- Barrier Free Health Care Initiative
- Breast Health Access For Women With Disabilities
- Burton Blatt Institute
- Disability Rights California
- Fox & Robertson
- Goldstein, Demchak, Baller, Borgen & Dardarian
- Harris Family Center for Disability and Health Policy
- Inclusive Technologies
- June Kailes
- Kaylan Dunlap
- Law Office of Lainey Feingold
- Mac Donald Consulting
- Steven Mendelsohn
- Mobility Fitness
- Mobility Golf
- National Center on Physical Activity and Disability
- New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
- Robbins, Salomon & Patt, Ltd.
- Through The Looking Glass
- Trace Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison