Justice Delayed Is Justice Denied!
Tell Congress To Keep Their #HandsOffMyADA
Please share with your affiliates and members!
Next Wednesday, February 14 or Thursday, February 15, the House of Representatives is likely to vote on H.R. 620, a dangerous bill that seeks to reverse nearly three decades of civil rights protections for people with disabilities. H.R. 620 not only allows equal access violators to keep breaking the law, it rewards them for it!
The misleadingly titled “ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017,” rewards law-breakers by letting them continue to deny access to disabled customers—without any consequences—and punishes the person being discriminated against by forcing them to detail all the ways that the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is being violated.
It gives law-breakers six months or longer to make “substantial progress”—without defining what that is—in fixing the problem before the person being discriminated against can see their doctor, buy a cake, eat at a restaurant, or go to the movies with friends or family members.
Help Stop H.R. 620:
Join the Following DAYS of ACTION
- Friday, February 9 through Monday, February 12, send EMAILS urging members of the House to VOTE NO on H.R. 620. Contacting Congress provides links to email your Representative directly;
- Monday, February 12 is “Save the ADA” CALL IN DAY. Pick up the phone and call your representative! Tell them to VOTE NO on H.R. 620;
- Tuesday, February 13, attention shifts to SOCIAL MEDIA (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Please post your opposition to HR 620 all day long. See Contacting Congress for how. On Twitter, the hashtags we’re using are: #HandsOffMyADA, #StopHR620, and #CripTheVote.
- Write a letter AT ANY TIME opposing H.R. 620 to all House offices (see how to send below);
- On the day of the vote (likely Wednesday or Thursday), please CALL and TWEET all day and tell members of the House to VOTE NO and Stop H.R. 620!
Write your representative online., go to https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative and enter your zip code. From there, click on the envelope under your representative’s photo.
For a list of additional resources including Talking Points, sample tweets, action alert templates, phone scripts, graphics for social media, etc. go to: https://dredf.org/hr620/ or download the CCD Toolkit.
Also see DREDF’s earlier alert, “Thirty Years of Holding It Is Long Enough.”